Win Cleopatra's Daughter or The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran!
Wednesday, December 31, 2008
- Gone by Michael Grant - This is pure awesomeness! It has earned a place in my list of favorite books, which is very small compared to the hundreds (even thousands) of books I've read.
- Unwind by Neal Schusterman - This was sci-fi that was chilling, well written, and made me think at the same time.
- Little Brother by Cory Doctorow - This also goes on my favorites list! Geeky, but in a cool way!
- The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson - Ditto what I said for Unwind, but it wasn't quite as horrific (as in good horror).
- Kaimira: The Sky Village by Monk Ashland and Nigel Ashland - This is Middle Grade, but I still loved it!
- Oh. My. Gods. by Tera Lynn Childs - I loved this book! It reminded me of the Percy Jackson series (<3)>
- Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper by Michael Reisman - Another Middle Grade book. This one had a really unique premise.
- Ever by Gail Carson Levine - This one is usually categorized as Middle Grade, and got some not-so-great reviews, but I loved it.
- Wake by Lisa McMann - It was hard to get used to the way the book was written, but once I was used to it I was hooked.
- The Devouring by Simon Holt - I read this on Sorry Night... and it freaked me out so much that I nearly fell over when a small noise startled me.
- The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart - One of the few realistic fiction books on my list. That means it's very, very good!
And some that weren't published in 2008, but I read in 2008:
- The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray - This took me forever to finish (800 pages), but it was a great conclusion to the Gemma Doyle Trilogy! ... *cry*
- Specials and Extras by Scott Westerfeld - Yes! I finished the incredible Uglies series!
- Hero by Perry Moore - It's about superheroes!
- Interworld by Neil Gaiman and Michael Reeves - It has parallel worlds (!!!) and multiple versions of the main character... who have the power to travel between worlds! And it's a mixture of sf and fantasy. This one would only be better if the book was longer, and a series.
- Mortal Engines and Predator's Gold (The Hungry City Chronicles) by Philip Reeve - Incredible! Especially Mortal Engines.
- Larklight by Philip Reeve - This was set in an alternate 1800's where the British Empire extends into outer space. I loved it!
- Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier - This one was near perfect. Need I say more?
- The Plain Janes by Cecil Castellucci - One of my favorite graphic novels. Ever.
- The entire Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan - Middle Grade, but some of the best MG books out there!
- The Hollow People (Promises of Doctor Sigmundus) by Brian Keaney - It was short and ended on a cliffhanger, but it was good!
I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but this is all I can think of now.
There are some books I'm sure would be on here (The Hunger Games, Sleepless, Undone, The Otherworldlies, Skinned, Graceling, The Summoning, and others), but I haven't had a chance to read them yet.
Saturday, December 27, 2008
EDIT: Grr... I've been trying to get this post straightened out for almost an hour! Is there an easy way to get all the pictures and titles in without the post getting all messed up?
Received On Christmas:
- Brisingr by Christopher Paolini
- Paraworld Zero by Matthew Peterson
- First Light by Rebecca Stead
From Gift Cards and Christmas Money:
- Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr
- City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
- Revealers by Amanda Marrone
- Betwixt by Tara Bray Smith
- The Alchemyst by Michael Scott
- Ruler of the Realm (Book 3 in Faerie Wars Quartet) by Herbie Brennan
- Blue Noon (Midnighters #3) by Scott Westerfeld
- The Hound of Rowan (The Tapestry #1) by Henry H. Neff
I can't wait to start reading all of these!
Happy Holidays/New Year/Etc. !!!
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
...I was so tempted to continue the title with "Of Doom."
Soo... I'm thinking that too much of my blog space is being taken up by contest links, so from now on I'll post them all here and put a link to the list on the sidebar. But I probably won't put up all the contests I find, because that would take forever, but usually the best ones and the ones that will give me extra entries if I post about them. This list will be updated frequently. The contests won't be in any particuar order, but the ones that are giving away large amounts of books or are complicated to understand will be put first on the list.
THE LIST - Latest update at about 12:45 AM April 9th:
Lenore of Presenting Lenore is hosting a contest for a prize pack of 11 or more books! They are:
- If I Stay by Gayle Forman
- The Reluctant Heiress by Eva Ibbotson
- Peace Love & Baby Ducks by Lauren Myracle
- Chasing the Bear by Robert Parker
- Prada & Prejudice by Mandy Hubbard
- Tales of the Madman Underground by John Barnes
- Plus by Veronica Chambers
- Three Cups of Tea Young Readers Edition by Greg Mortenson
- Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman
The contest ends at 11:59 PM CST on the 5th. - http://presentinglenore.blogspot.com/2009/03/book-giveaway-penguin-prize-pack-11-ya.html
The Story Siren is giving away a prize pack of 10 ARCs!!! They are:
- The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan
- Flygirl by Sherri L. Smith
- Nothing But Ghosts by Beth Kephart
- Warrior Princess by Frewin Jones
- Sea Change by Aimee Friedman
- Coffeehouse Angel by Suzanne Selfors
- Sloane Sisters by Anna Carey
- Breathing by Cheryl Renee Herbsman
- A Map of the Known World by Lisa Anne Sandell
- Something Maybe by Elizabeth Scott
The contest ends at midnight EST on the 7th. - http://www.thestorysiren.com/2009/03/contest-ten-pack-arc.html
For the Love of Books is giving away three books (either to one or three people). They are:
- Models Don't Eat Chocolate Cookies by Erin Dionne
- Taken by Storm by Angela Morrison
- Speak (10th Anniversary Edition) by Laurie Halse Anderson
The contest ends at midnight on the 21st. - http://fortheloveofbooksblog.blogspot.com/2009/03/march-giveaway.html
Book-luver Carol is giving away a bunch of books! There will be three winners. The first prize winner gets three books off of the list, the second prize winner gets two, and the third prize winner gets one. Here's the list (taken from contest post):
Privilege by Kate Brian
Rumors by Anna Godbersen (Paperback)
The ABC's of Kissing Boys by Tina Ferraro (ARC)
You Are So Undead to Me by Stacey Jay (ARC)
Ever by Gail Carson Levine (Hardback)
The Twelve Dates of Christmas by Catherine Hapka
Skin Hunger: A Resurrection of Magic by Kathleen Duey (Paperback)
Rehab by Randi Reisfeld
Deadly Little Secret by Laurie Faria Stolarz
Lipstick Apology by Jennifer Jabaley (ARC)
City of Glass by Cassandra Clare (ARC)
Just One Wish by Janette Rallison (ARC)
Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder
Raven by Allison Van Driepen (ARC)
The Diamonds by Ted Michael (ARC)
The winners will be picked on the 1st of April. - http://bookluver-carol.blogspot.com/2009/03/im-so-happy-that-im-going-to-florida.html
Carrie of Carrie's YA Bookshelf is giving away a prize pack of three YA supernatural books! The books are:
- You Are So Undead to Me by Stacy Jay
- Moonlight by Rachel Hawthorne
- An ARC of Haunted by Meg Cabot
The contest ends on the 31st. - http://carriesyabookshelf.blogspot.com/2009/03/new-contest.html
- Cupcake Witch is giving away an ARC of The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han. The contest ends on the 10th. - http://cupcakewitch.blogspot.com/2009/04/contest-to-win-summer-i-turned-pretty.html
- LitMuse is giving away an ARC of If I Stay by Gayle Forman! The contest ends on the 31st. - http://litmuse.wordpress.com/2009/03/21/if-i-stay-arc-contest/
- Reverie Media is giving away a copy of Hunted by P.C Cast and Kristin Cast. The contest ends on the first of April. - http://reveriemedia.blogspot.com/2009/03/monthaversay-giveaway.html
- Genevieve of Genevieve's Blog is giving away a copy of What Would Emma Do? by Eileen Cook. The contest ends at midnight PST on the 31st. - http://caprubia.blogspot.com/2009/03/what-would-emma-do-contest.html
- One Reader's Trash is Another Reader's Treasure is giving away a copy of Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher! The contest ends at midnight on the 27th. - http://ya-bookaholic.blogspot.com/2009/02/100-posts-contest.html
- Kelsey of Reading Keeps You Sane is giving away two signed (personalized!!!) copies of Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey! The contest ends at midnight CST on the 27th. - http://readingkeepsyousane.blogspot.com/2009/03/contest.html
- The Epic Rat is giving away 6 copies (3 to commenters, 2 to followers, 1 international) of My Little Red Book (anthology.) The contest ends on the 27th. - http://epicrat.blogspot.com/2009/03/would-you-tell-me-please.html
- The Page Flipper is giving away an ARC of 20 Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler. The winner will be chosen on Monday the 16th. - http://thepageflipper.blogspot.com/2009/03/weekly-contest.html
- Harmony Book Reviews is giving away three copies of Wish You Were Here by Catherine Clark! No deadline is given... - http://harmonybookreviews.wordpress.com/2009/03/04/its-contest-time-again/
- WORD for Teens is having a March Giveaway for multiple books. They are: Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols, The Marine by Rudy Josephs, Hollywood Nobody and Finding Hollywood Nobody by Lisa Samson, and Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott. The contest ends at the end of the month. - http://wordforteens.blogspot.com/2009/03/march-09-giveaway-out-like-lamb.html
Tuesday, December 9, 2008
A Book Review? Um... No. It's Another List of Contests:
- Melissa Walker is giving away Losers by Matthue Roth. The winner is announced tomorrow, so hurry if you want to enter. - http://www.melissacwalker.com/blog/2008/12/winit_wednesday_losers_by_matt.html
- Bookish Ruth is giving away a copy of The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J. K. Rowling! The contest ends at midnight on the 18th. - http://www.bookishruth.com/2008/12/book-giveaway-tales-of-beedle-bard-by.html
- Reviewer X and The Story Siren's YA Connection is giving away She's So Money by Cherry Cheva this week! The winner will be chosen on Saturday. - http://reviewerx.blogspot.com/2008/12/ya-connection.html
- And Another Book Read is giving away a copy of The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman! The contest ends at 12 PM EST on Saturday. - http://andanotherbookread.blogspot.com/2008/12/and-simple-question.html
- Mrs. Magoo Reads is giving away four books! They are: Indie Girl, Fashion 101: A Crash Course in Clothing, "Been There, Survived That", and The Dictionary of High School B.S. The winner will be chosen on January 1st. - http://www.mrsmagooreads.com/2008/12/my-300th-post.html
- The Symposium is giving away The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J. K. Rowling! The contest ends at midnight MST on the 13th. - http://review.nanashi-inc.net/2008/12/giveaway-the-tales-of-beedle-the-bard/
- Sharon Loves Books and Cats is giving away The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan! The contest ends on the 18th. - http://sharonlovesbooksandcats.blogspot.com/2008/12/my-holiday-giveaway.html
- Oh. My. God. I just found a huge contest where 28 books, including Farworld: Water Keep and Creepers are being given away!!! The contest ends on the 12th. - http://thebluestockings.com/2008/12/holiday-giveaway-extravaganza/
Thursday, December 4, 2008
Okay, here's the list of contest links:
- Just Listen is giving away two packs of books by Melina Marchetta. One pack has an ARC of Finnikin of the Rock and Looking for Alibrandi. The other has On the Jellicoe Road and Saving Francesca. The contest ends at about midnight on the 9th. - http://justlistenbookreviews.blogspot.com/2008/11/my-first-competition.html
- Author Keri Mikulski is having a holiday giveaway for Let it Snow: Three Holiday Stories by Lauren Myracle, Maureen Johnson, and John Green, I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone by Stephanie Kuehnert and a Twilight movie poster! The contest ends at midnight on the 14th. - http://kerimikulski.blogspot.com/2008/11/yay-for-ya-holiday-giveaway.html
- The Page Flipper is giving away a prize pack of five books! They are: Read my Lips by Teri Brown, Likely Story by David Van Etten, Why I Let My Hair Grow Out by Maryrose Wood, The Fortunes of Indigo Skye by Deb Caletti, and The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson. The contest ends at midnight on the 31st. - http://thepageflipper.blogspot.com/2008/12/december-prize-pack.html
- Mrs. Magoo Reads is giving away Confessions of a Triple Shot Betty by Jody Gehrman. The contest ends on the 31st and a winner is picked on January 1st. - http://www.mrsmagooreads.com/2008/12/contest-win-confessions-of-triple-shot.html
- Harmony Book Reviews is giving away a surprise pack of at least two books, bookmarks, and other mystery items. Entries must be in by the 29th. - http://harmonybookreviews.wordpress.com/2008/12/02/december-monthly-surprise-pack-contest/
- And Another Book Read... is giving away an ARC of Paper Towns by John Green! The contest ends at noon on the 6th. - http://andanotherbookread.blogspot.com/2008/12/return-of-long-lost-blogger.html
- La Petite Chic is giving away a Wii and Wii Fit!!! The contest is only open until midnight on Friday, so if you want to win this, you have to enter the contest now. - http://www.lapetitechic.com/lapetitechic/2008/11/wii-and-wii-fit-giveaway.html
- Author A. S. King is giving away her last ARC of The Dust of 100 Dogs and some surprise gift! And it's a writing contest! Well, 10 words. Exactly. And it has to be about the life of a pirate or a dog. The contest ends at midnight on the 18th. - http://dogfact9.blogspot.com/2008/11/merry-life-and-short-one-contest.html
- Presenting Lenore is giving away a prize pack of at least 6 books from Penguin, and one will probably be the winner's choice. The others are a surprise! Entries must be in by the 5th. - http://presentinglenore.blogspot.com/2008/11/book-giveaway-penguin-publicists-choice.html
- The bloggers at Maelstrom are giving away a huge prize! The winner will get their choice of one book from each blogger's list of favorites, a UK edition of Artemis Fowl, a mix of music, and an Irish bookmark. The contest will be open until the 20th. - http://maelstrombooks.blogspot.com/2008/11/fiercely-fawesome-first-contest.html
- Amberkatze's Book Blog is giving away your choice of any book by Kelley Armstrong. And it will be signed! It ends at 4 pm CET on the 7th. - http://amberkatze-amberkatze.blogspot.com/2008/11/author-interview-contest-with-kelley.html
Friday, November 28, 2008
- Bookluver-Carol is having the most amazing contest!!! You can win any book or books of your choice, as long as the price is $30 or under! The deadline is December 15th at midnight. - http://bookluver-carol.blogspot.com/2008/11/have-happy-thanksgiving.html
- I might be too late, but Reviewer X's contest for this week is for the book of your choice from Amazon. The winner is chosen today. - http://reviewerx.blogspot.com/2008/11/ya-connection-november-16th-22nd.html
- Literarily is having two contests, one for Sam's Quest for the Crimson Crystal and another for Sam's Quest: The Royal Trident. They both end at 11:59 PM on December 5th. - http://blog.literarily.com/2008/11/25/book-review--sams-quest-for-the-crimson-crystal-by-ben-furman.aspx - http://blog.literarily.com/2008/11/25/book-review--sams-quest-the-royal-trident-and-book-giveaway.aspx
- Melissa Walker is having a contest for How to Be Popular by Meg Cabot. The contest ends Wednesday. - http://www.melissacwalker.com/blog/
- Harmony Book Reviews is giving away a copy of Amigas and School Scandals by Diana Rodriguez Wallach. The contest ends December 1st. - http://harmonybookreviews.wordpress.com/2008/11/26/its-contest-time/
Monday, November 24, 2008
Not all dreams are sweet.
For seventeen-year-old Janie, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams, the naked-but-nobody-notices dreams, and the sex-crazed dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime.
She can't tell anybody about what she does -- they'd never believe her, or worse, they'd think she's a freak. So Janie lives on the fringe, cursed with an ability she doesn't want and can't control.
Then she falls into a gruesome nightmare, one that chills her to the bone. For the first time, Janie is more than a witness to someone else's twisted psyche. She is a participant....
I was so excited when I found Wake at a local library because I'd heard so much about it and immediately began to read it, despite the fact I had about twenty other books from other libraries left to read that were due soon. I had a bit of trouble getting into the book at first because of the present tense style of writing and shifting between times, but once I was in I was hooked. I absolutely love paranormal books, and until that point I hadn't encountered much dreamwalking in teen books, but what I had read before was nothing like this. Janie couldn't helped getting sucked into other people's often nasty dreams, which was a really original idea that I wished I had thought of. It was a power that was more of a curse. Then came the part that really got me interested. Janie wasn't the only dreamwalker... and then there's Cabel, the boy she ends up sharing her secret with (who is also sort of mysterious.) Overall, the style the book was written in, the darkness of the story, and the frequent switching of scenes sort of gave me the feeling of being lost and confused, but curious, which I suspect is the author's intent. But so many questions went unanswered... Now I really want to read Fade (see countdown on sidebar)!!! (Sorry if you thought this was so disorganized, but I didn't intend for it to be a real review.)
Wake Book Trailer:
In case you were wondering, here is the contest (it ends in less than an hour, so I doubt posting this will do much good): http://lisamcmann.blogspot.com/2008/10/freaking-huge-contest-o-thanks.html
More Contests (You saw this coming, didn't you?):
- Terri Clark (author of Sleepless!) is giving away a bunch of books, too many to list here! The winner will be chosen on November 28th (Black Friday). - http://terriclark.livejournal.com/60952.html
- Presenting Lenore is giving away the entire Gemma Doyle Trilogy (signed!!!) The contest ends at 9 PM on December 5th. - http://presentinglenore.blogspot.com/2008/11/book-giveaway-signed-gemma-doyle.html
Friday, November 21, 2008
Sunday, November 16, 2008
My favorite genres of books to read are science fiction, fantasy, supernatural, mythological, or anything with a touch of the metaphysical. Anything with parallel universes too. Most of this is YA. I do not like fluff cliquish high/middle school stories, so don't expect me to review them. I will read realistic fiction, but I prefer for it to be something special or unusual.
I like to write about the things I like to read, and that influences what I draw, because I usually draw my characters. Right now I am attempting to write two books (more about that in later posts). Besides reading, writing, and drawing, I like to find amusing sites on the internet, design websites, attempt to teach myself 3D animation and other digital art, and take pictures of things with my digital camera.
Oh, the picture on the left is not me, it's one of my characters that I drew.
I doubt anyone is actually reading this, but here are some links to contests that I am posting to get extra entries:
- Reading Keeps You Sane is having a Halloween/Birthday contest where the winner gets to choose from a selection of books, including a signed copy of Wake by Lisa McMann. It ends tomorrow at midnight. - http://readingkeepsyousane.blogspot.com/2008/10/halloweenbirthday-contest.html
- Reading Mania is having a huge contest to win any book she reviews from when the contest began to today. It ends at midnight, so I don't know if anyone will find this in time, but there'll be another contest soon. - http://elainareads.blogspot.com/2008/11/contest.html
- Reviewer X's YA Connection Giveaway is for Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen this week. It ends on Saturday, the 22nd. - http://reviewerx.blogspot.com/2008/11/ya-connection-contest_15.html
- Book Chatter is having a giveaway for Pretty Monsters by Kelly Link. It ends on November 30th. - http://bookchatterandotherstuff.blogspot.com/2008/11/giveaway-pretty-monsters-by-kelly-link.html
- Mrs. Magoo Reads is having a contest to win How Not to be Popular by Jennifer Ziegler. It ends at the end of November. - http://www.mrsmagooreads.com/2008/11/contest-win-copy-of-how-not-to-be.html
- Presenting Lenore is giving away 5 copies of Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway. It ends on the 25th. - http://presentinglenore.blogspot.com/2008/11/book-giveaway-audrey-wait-by-robin.html
- My Favorite Author is giving away an ARC of The Season by Sarah MacLean. It's not even coming out until next March! The contest ends on the 30th. - http://myfavoriteauthor.blogspot.com/2008/11/chapter-35-debut-author-month-giveaway.html
- Chick Lit Teens is having a giveaway for three books: The Debs by Susan McBride, Bad Kitty by Michelle Jaffe, or The Squad: Perfect Cover by Jennifer Lynn Barnes. It ends on the 21st. - http://chicklitteens.blogspot.com/2008/11/book-blowout.html
My next post on this blog will probably be either contest links or about some fan book covers I made. And the layout is temporary. I'll customize it when I have time.