Win Cleopatra's Daughter or The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran!

Enter to win one of these great historical novels! The contest ends on September 25th. Click Here to Enter!

Monday, November 24, 2008

Wake by Lisa McMann!!!

This is my official post about Wake by Lisa McMann. (Yes, a contest is involved.) It won't really be a review, because I read it too long ago to write a good one, so this will just be a post to tell you a little about the book, and some of my thoughts about it. I'll have a detailed rating system with my real reviews. (I'm really new to this so I got the picture to the left off of Google Images (I believe from the Barnes & Noble site.) Am I breaking any copyright laws? I saved it to my computer and uploaded it to my blog.)

Amazon Summary:


Not all dreams are sweet.

For seventeen-year-old Janie, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams, the naked-but-nobody-notices dreams, and the sex-crazed dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime.

She can't tell anybody about what she does -- they'd never believe her, or worse, they'd think she's a freak. So Janie lives on the fringe, cursed with an ability she doesn't want and can't control.

Then she falls into a gruesome nightmare, one that chills her to the bone. For the first time, Janie is more than a witness to someone else's twisted psyche. She is a participant....


My Thoughts:

I was so excited when I found Wake at a local library because I'd heard so much about it and immediately began to read it, despite the fact I had about twenty other books from other libraries left to read that were due soon. I had a bit of trouble getting into the book at first because of the present tense style of writing and shifting between times, but once I was in I was hooked. I absolutely love paranormal books, and until that point I hadn't encountered much dreamwalking in teen books, but what I had read before was nothing like this. Janie couldn't helped getting sucked into other people's often nasty dreams, which was a really original idea that I wished I had thought of. It was a power that was more of a curse. Then came the part that really got me interested. Janie wasn't the only dreamwalker... and then there's Cabel, the boy she ends up sharing her secret with (who is also sort of mysterious.) Overall, the style the book was written in, the darkness of the story, and the frequent switching of scenes sort of gave me the feeling of being lost and confused, but curious, which I suspect is the author's intent. But so many questions went unanswered... Now I really want to read Fade (see countdown on sidebar)!!! (Sorry if you thought this was so disorganized, but I didn't intend for it to be a real review.)


Wake Book Trailer:




In case you were wondering, here is the contest (it ends in less than an hour, so I doubt posting this will do much good): http://lisamcmann.blogspot.com/2008/10/freaking-huge-contest-o-thanks.html


More Contests (You saw this coming, didn't you?):

*Paradox*

2 comments:

MySharonAnne said...

I just reviewed this last week. I can't wait to read Fade.

GirlwiththeBraids said...

Hi, Paradox! :)

I've never read a paranormal book before and I've heard so much about this one... so maybe I should read Wake sometime.

(And yes, it was a real review, so don't worry about it.)

Three Column Modification courtesy of The Blogger Guide